PA or sound system?

‘PA’ is a very common term used when hiring speakers for an event or show. But ‘P.A.’ is actually short for ‘public address’ which refers to a system that is usually used for speech only. So 'sound reinforcement system’ is better although ‘PA’ is now widely accepted. Just remember to describe what you want to use it for.

So with that in mind, if you wanted a PA system to use for announcements at a fete, an outdoor sporting event, or public rally, for instance, you would more than likely need speakers specifically designed for that use. The good old 100 volt line system would be best to use for these situations.

If you want to play music as well as make announcements then you would more than likely require a different type of speaker which could handle both.

With regards to sound reinforcement for bands, DJs and live music, this requires a lot more power and will usually involve sub woofers which are added to enhance the bass frequencies that this music requires.

We'll go into each of these systems in our coming series of blogs - next one will be on band sound reinforcement. In the meantime, if you are planning an event and need some help in deciding what you need, contact us and we will be only too happy to help you!